Tips For Using The Apple Watch Series 4 In Water
Yes, the Apple Watch Series 4 is waterproof and can be used while swimming, surfing, or doing water sports, but there are some tips to keep in mind to ensure its longevity and performance underwater.
Here are some tips for using the Apple Watch Series 4 in water:
- Use the water lock feature to prevent accidental taps on the screen while swimming.
- Rinse the watch with clean water after exposure to salt water or chlorinated water.
- Dry the watch thoroughly with a soft cloth after use.
- Avoid exposing the watch to soaps, shampoos, and other chemicals while wearing it in water.
- Make sure the watch bands fit snugly to prevent water from seeping in.
By following these tips, you can enjoy using your Apple Watch Series 4 in water without worrying about its performance or durability.
Pro tip: Consider getting a waterproof case or cover for your watch for added protection during water activities.
Is Apple Watch Series 4 Waterproof
Apple Watch Series 4 is rated as water-resistant up to 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010, but it is important to understand the capabilities of the watch in order to use it safely in the water.
This article will provide tips on understanding the Apple Watch Series 4’s water resistance and making the most of it when using it in water.
What Does the IP Rating Mean For Apple Watch Series 4?
The IP rating for Apple Watch Series 4 is an industry standard that measures its water resistance levels. IP stands for “Ingress Protection,” and the rating consists of two numbers that indicate the level of protection against solid and liquid particles.
The Apple Watch Series 4 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters, meaning it can withstand water immersion up to 50 meters deep. However, this does not mean that you can use the watch for activities like scuba diving or watersports. For casual swimming and showering, the watch is perfectly safe to wear.
To prevent any damage, avoid exposing the watch to high-velocity water or soapy water while using it. Also, it is recommended to use the water eject feature post-exposure to remove water from the watch’s speaker cavity.
How To Test Apple Watch Series 4 Water Resistance?
The Apple Watch Series 4 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters, making it suitable for water-related activities such as swimming and snorkeling. Here’s how to test your Apple Watch’s water resistance:
- Before exposing your watch to water, make sure its Water Lock feature is turned on. You can do this by swiping up on the watch face and tapping the Water Drop icon.
- Once Water Lock is enabled, your watch will prevent accidental touches and inputs that could be caused by water droplets.
- Dip your watch into the water, making sure it’s fully submerged. It’s recommended not to expose your watch to water with a forceful pressure of a shower head or any jet.
- After 30 minutes, remove your watch from the water and wipe it dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
If your watch doesn’t function properly after this test, such as the speaker sounds muffled or the digital crown is difficult to turn, refrain from exposing your watch to water and contact Apple Support.
Pro Tip: It’s essential to ensure that your watch’s water resistance gasket is properly seated after each use to prevent any further water damage to the device.
What Are the Limitations of Apple Watch Series 4 Water Resistance?
The Apple Watch Series 4 is designed to be water-resistant, but it does have its limitations.
According to Apple, the Series 4 is water-resistant up to 50 meters, which means it can be worn while swimming in pools and oceans.
However, there are a few limitations to keep in mind:
- Water resistance can decrease over time as the watch ages and is exposed to wear and tear.
- The water resistance rating is not a guarantee against damage, and the watch can still be damaged if exposed to water, particularly if it’s at a high velocity or pressure (e.g. water skiing or surfing).
- While the watch can be worn while swimming, it’s recommended to avoid activities that involve deep water diving or snorkeling.
Pro Tip: To maximize the water resistance of your Apple Watch Series 4 and reduce the risk of damage, it’s important to follow Apple’s guidelines for using the watch in water (e.g. avoid exposing it to high-velocity water, rinse it with clean water after exposure to salt water, etc.).
Precautions For Using Apple Watch Series 4 In Water
The Apple Watch Series 4 is water resistant up to 50 meters, but special care should be taken to ensure that its proper functioning is not compromised in any way. Taking the right precautions is essential for using your Apple Watch Series4 safely in water. In this article, we will explore the tips for using the Apple Watch Series 4 in water.
Avoid Using Apple Watch Series 4 In Hot Water
Apple Watch Series 4 is water-resistant but not waterproof, and it is essential to take precautions while using it in water to prevent any damage. One such precaution is to avoid using it in hot water. Hot water can significantly affect the performance of the Apple Watch Series 4 and can also cause damage to its water-resistant seals. It is, therefore, recommended to avoid exposing it to hot water, including hot showers, hot springs or hot tubs, saunas, and steam rooms.
Moreover, to prevent any water damage, make sure that the water-resistant seals are secure and in good condition before using the watch in water. After each use, dry the watch with a clean cloth and remove any water from the speaker holes to prevent muffled sound. Remember, while the Apple Watch Series 4 has a water-resistant rating, it is not waterproof and should be used with care around water to avoid damage.
Don’t Expose Apple Watch Series 4 To Chemicals
The Apple Watch Series 4 is not only susceptible to water damage, but also to damage caused by exposure to certain chemicals. Here are some of the chemicals that can damage your Apple Watch Series 4 and how to avoid them:
- Sunscreen: Chemicals found in sunscreen can react with the materials used in the Apple Watch, causing discoloration or damage. Avoid applying sunscreen directly to your Apple Watch and instead apply it to your skin before putting on the watch.
- Insect repellent: Insect repellents such as DEET can also react with the materials used in the watch, causing damage. Avoid spraying insect repellent directly onto your watch and instead spray it on your skin before putting on the watch.
- Cleaning products: Household cleaning products such as bleach, ammonia, and rubbing alcohol can also damage the Apple Watch Series 4. Avoid wearing your watch while cleaning or use gloves to protect the watch from exposure to these chemicals.
By avoiding exposure to these chemicals, you can prolong the life of your Apple Watch Series 4 and avoid costly repairs. And yes, Apple Watch Series 4 is water-resistant, but it’s not fully waterproof, so avoid submerging it in water for extended periods.
Clean Your Apple Watch Series 4 After Using It In Water
Yes, the Apple Watch Series 4 is water-resistant and can be safely used in water up to 50 meters deep. However, it is essential to clean your Apple Watch Series 4 after using it in water to ensure its longevity and prevent any damage.
Here are some tips to follow:
- Use a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth to gently wipe the water from your Apple Watch.
- Rotate the Digital Crown and Side Button to help expel any water that may have entered the small gaps in the watch.
- Allow the Apple Watch to air dry completely before wearing it.
- Do not charge the Apple Watch if it is wet as this can damage the device’s battery.
By following these precautions, you can be sure that your Apple Watch Series 4 stays in top condition and functions optimally even after using it in water.
Best Practices For Using Apple Watch Series 4 In Water
With the Apple Watch Series 4, it is now possible to safely use the device in water. Although the device is waterproof, there are still a few caveats to keep in mind when using the device in water. In this article, we’ll be discussing the best practices to follow when using your Apple Watch Series 4 in water.
Use the Water Lock Feature To Prevent Accidental Input
Yes, the Apple Watch Series 4 is water-resistant up to 50 meters, but that doesn’t mean it’s immune to accidental input when submerged in water. To avoid this, use the Water Lock feature.
The Water Lock feature locks your screen, eliminating the possibility of accidental input when you’re in water. Here’s how to enable it:
- Swipe up on your watch face to access the Control Center.
- Tap the water droplet icon to enable Water Lock.
- Start your water activity and keep using your watch as normal.
- To unlock your screen after your water activity, turn the digital crown until you hear a tone, indicating that the water has been cleared from your speaker. This step is essential to prevent damage to your speaker.
Pro tip: To test the water resistance of your Apple Watch Series 4, use the Water Lock feature to ensure the screen is locked before exposing it to water.
Use the Workout App To Track Swimming Workouts
Yes, Apple Watch Series 4 is waterproof and can withstand water submersion for up to 50 meters. And, you can use the Workout app to track swimming workouts for maximum benefit.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch.
- Scroll down to the “Pool Swim” workout and tap the “Start” button.
- Start swimming – the Apple Watch will automatically track your laps, distance, and calories burned.
- Once you’re done, swipe right to end the workout and save your data.
Note that the Apple Watch Series 4 tracks swimming workouts differently than walking or running workouts, as the watch uses the accelerometer instead of the GPS. So, make sure you calibrate your watch for the most accurate tracking. Simply use the “Other” workout option, and select “Pool Swim” as your activity type. From there, you can customize your swim workout settings, including distance, calories, and time goals.
Consider Using a Waterproof Case For Added Protection
Yes, the Apple Watch Series 4 is officially water-resistant and designed to withstand exposure to water while swimming, surfing, or engaging in other water-based activities. However, it is recommended to consider using a waterproof case for added protection.
Here are some tips for using the Apple Watch Series 4 in water:
- Check to make sure the Water Lock feature is enabled before entering the water.
- Rinse the Watch with clean water after exposure to salt water, chlorine, or other chemicals.
- Wipe the Watch dry with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth after taking it out of water.
- Consider using a waterproof case to provide extra protection against impacts and scratches.
With these tips, you can enjoy using your Apple Watch while swimming or engaging in other water-based activities with greater peace of mind.